Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Water. (this is not a typical frivolous mind-numb)

Yesterday was World Water Day, a day where we consider the great wonder, and also the great destruction that water can bring. 
In the aftermath of the Japanese quake and subsequent tsunami it is hard for anyone to forget what a hugely annihilating force water can be. In Australia alone thousands are still attempting to recover from the floods in Queensland -
And while our fruits rot and we rebuild our houses we can look across the ocean and feel a devastation far far greater still.
All Because Of Water. As the Doctor so aptly said in 'The Waters of Mars' - "Water is patient, water just waits. It wears down the clifftops, the mountains, the whole of the world. Water always wins!" and it was spooky, and it was right, because water can be spooky and The Doctor is Always Right. The Grand Canyon is evidence of this, a marginal amount of water, wearing down the world around it for a millennia.


And while this force can be so loud and wash away lives, it also allows the world around us to exist. 
Here is lies one of -what I see to be- the great miracles of the modern world (because science can also be miraculas) There Is Fresh Clean Water Available At Numerous Point IN MY HOUSE! And probably your house! And it can be hot or cold, and you are always free to access it. WHAT GENIUS! It allows me to be clean, to be nourished, to provide sustenance to the lives around me, and to generally Keep Going.
Without this crazy clear substance that arrived on our planet in millions and millions of tiny space rocks we JUST WOULDN'T BE. I know that's pretty bloody simple, but it's also pretty bloody Awe Inspiring.


And so my dears, do not dispair, for while at times it may seem that the world is falling down around us, that Mother Nature is giving us the old 'Fuck You', we must always remember to bask in the wonder of our world and appreciate the clever clever people that have manufactured the surrounds on which many of us are so dependant. 
In this we are indebted - and so it is our duty as educated citizens of this modern world to do everything in our power to preserve and spread the gift of water. 
To enable all people to access this clean water as freely as we do, to preserve dear Earth, to-get-off-this-fucking-ridiculous-high-horse-and-recognise-that-solar-wind-hydro-and-thermal-power-are-the-best-chance-we-have. 
And Baby remember - Appreciate Every Day.
Iceland gave Bjork the island Elliðaey as a 'Thank You' - It is one of my favourite things in the world




Elliðaey




PS. I actually take back to some extent that rant about solar, wind, thermal and hydro power. I'm not a scientist so I shouldn't be passing judgment. That's just what seems logical to me.



And so today I have taught you a wee bit more about myself. Including that I have a brain beyond the frivolous. And that I am a huge Doctor Who nerd and science nerd in general. Actually science blows my mind so regularly that I am constantly in awe of the Fucking Miracle that life is and would much rather blog about such things but my capacity to understand is hugely limited. I am in debt to those people who can understand and explain things to anyone willing to listen. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm liking what I'm reading. Very well presented and reasoned. I also liked the bit a about the comets (space rocks)from memory I think they delivered 60% of all the water that we have.

    Also a big "high five" for the working of the Doctor into it.

    PS:Surely a BOS in the making!!

    ReplyDelete